Monday, February 13, 2006

sick

I'm sick.

I don't get sick often, but this is for real, and I hate it. I think one of the guys at my day job brought a virus into work with him, and now I have a stinking cold.

There are benefits, of course. Sympathy is one, although that wears off pretty quick when your spouse is emptying wastecans full of damp, infectious Kleenex. Rest is another -- you're supposed to get a lot of sleep. But I always feel like I should be getting something done...like, um, updating my blog.

NYQUIL! Now yer talkin' some fun! Since I don't drink alcohol, Nyquil is one of my little guilty pleasures. That little shot of booze you get, along with the witch's brew of god-knows-what and the green color and horrible anisette taste, make it my party-drug of choice when I get my annual cold. And man, does it put me to sleep. At least for about 4 days, until I get habituated to it. June says I should just save money and take a shot of tequila at bedtime, but that would be wrong.

Along with this is a side problem that is actually more long-term and worrisome. My arthritis has started showing up in my finger joints. So far, it has not directly affected any of my primary bass-playing fingers, but that may be inevitable. The best thing I can do is to keep moving as much as I can, and take anti-inflammitories when I need to.

Our health is precious, and can be taken away at any time. I think of those people I've loved, who I've lost too early, and I feel very lucky to have lived so long. I realize that there are many who would gladly trade my little aches and pains for theirs. I try to appreciate each day, and those people in my life that make each day a joy.